Wednesday, February 6, 2013

What news from England?

Curl up with The Sunne In
Spendour and a hot toddy cider!
 I've always been fascinated by history.  Particularly medieval European history.  I get all giddy and geeky when I'm reading about it.  I think I like it so much because it is amazing to learn about all the audacious, stupid, incredible, lucky, devestating stories from the past that really happened!   That's why I was so psyched to read this past week that remains buried beneath a car park in Leicester, England have been confirmed as those of Richard III (the king of England that Shakespeare vilified in his play by the same name).  The man has been buried there for over 500 years, under a car park!  Incredible!  To see the full story click, here
 
One of the first things I did after learning that dear Richard III had been unearthed was pull out my dog eared copy of The Sunne In Splendour by Sharon Kay Penman.  This is her tome to Richard III, the House of York, and the War of the Roses.  I came across Ms. Penman's books when I was a teenager and have scarcely been able to find an author to match her style, research, and sheer historical story telling ability.  
 
One of the things I like about Ms. Penman's books is that she starts you off right by including a map...
...and family trees. With everyone being named Edward and Richard, it can get confusing. This family tree is a life saver at keeping the characters straight.


If you have even the slightest interest in European medieval history, or enjoy incredible battle scenes, richly woven characters, and a plot that sees you through to the bitter end (pst, in historical literature, all the characters die), no author could come more highly recommended to deliver!
 
If you are interested in seeing the facial reconstruction from the skull of Richard III, click here
 
Check out Ms. Penman's website here.  Check her out on Facebook too!  She has some really cool historical posts and is awesome at answering questions from readers.
 
~xoxo J.M.Riley
 

No comments:

Post a Comment