Tuesday, March 5, 2013

It's March and I need color!

If you live in Western Washington you know that it is a minor miracle when we get a winter day like this.....
...because, usually our winter days are like this.
After 5 months of medium gray I am ready for some color and primroses are the perfect cure for gray!  
So many good things to say about primroses: they come in a wide variety of colors, they last through spring and summer, they are hardy (excellent choice if you don't have a green thumb...uhh, that would be me:), and they're inexpensive (I got mine at Rite Aid at 2/$2)!
Before I transplant my primroses into pots I like to pull off the old flowers and leaves. 
See how there are a few older, wilting flowers?
Pull those off and your primroses will generate new flowers underneath.  Do this every few days and your primroses will continue to generate new growth through the summer.
After planting my primroses I don't have to do much other than pull the old flowers.  I generally don't have to water them until we get a dry spell, which could be months.  I can relax and enjoy a little color.

~xoxo J.M.Riley


No comments:

Post a Comment