Friday, February 22, 2013

Brushing Up On Crafty Skills

When I haven't used a crafty skill for a while I like to take it for a test ride to get back in the groove of things.  With embroidery this is easily done; unlike knitting, needles are inexpensive.  Embroidery thread and hoops are cheap as well, and any scrap of cotton will do to practice stitches.
I like to use Marie-Noelle Bayard's Embroidery Techniques & Patterns as a reference when I'm working on my stitches.  She has created an ingenius Appendix that gives you a snap shot of all the stitches that she shows you how to do in the book.  Brilliant!
Over the last few days I have been testing out new stitches, as well as a few that I needed to brush up on.


I had a difficult time keeping Long and Short Stitch even but I like the multi hued green look.  Star Stitch gave me fast, easy, and pleasing results!  I'll probably put stars on all my embroidery for a little punch :)


For whatever reason, Lazy Daisy does not come easy to me.  I totally understand it, I just can't make it look as good as the picture.  Heart french knots!  These used to scare me, but once I got them down, I love doing them!  Really need to practice Bullion Stitch more.  It's all neat and knobby but I ran out of thread and wanted to try Russian Stitch a little more.


Blanket Stitch is a stitch that I remember using in Jr. High for a Home Ec project.  We made hot pads shaped like pea pods.  Yes, my Mom still has it! 


The dole drums of winter are a perfect time to brush up on neglected crafty skills!  What will you do today?

~xoxo J.M.Riley

No comments:

Post a Comment