Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Double Sided Heart Banner


This project takes me back to elementary school, when we would make paper doll chains.  This is a modified version of that elementary school project; same charm, more durability!


You will need:
Sharp fabric scissors
Iron and ironing board
2 pieces of 3 1/2" x 15" fabric
2 feet of string (twine, yarn, or whatever you like)
1 piece of 3 1/2" x 15" Heat Bond






Things to think about before you start:
What size of heart do I want to use? 
I tested three different sized heart cutouts with paper before settling on a 2 1/2" x 2 3/4" sized heart. 
What fabric should I use?
I used hand dyed pink cotton for one side because Valentine's Day is coming up.  For back side I used a springy/flower cotton fabric.  When Valentine's Day is done I flip my banner over and voila', spring decoration!
Where can I buy Heat Bond?
I purchased mine at JoAnn Fabrics.  Most likely you can purchase it at a craft/fabric store near you (there are many different types of bonding materials like this to choose from, I have always used the Heat Bond brand).  If you have no luck at your local store click here, this will take you directly to the Heat Bond in JoAnn Fabrics online store.

Let's get started!

Using 1 piece of 3 1/2" x 15" fabric, follow heat bond instructions and fuse heat bond to the wrong side (back) of fabric.


Fold your fabric accordian style to a little less than your cut out heart size, the top edge of your heart should overlap (this is where the hearts connect to form the chain).  Keep in mind that each fold will represent a heart.  I recommend doing 6 folds at the most (I did 5 for mine).  Any more than that will make it difficult to cut the fabric accurately.




Trace your heart with a pen directly onto the fabric.  Do this on the Heat Bond side of the fabric.  Any penmarks left showing will be covered up once you bond this to your second fabric.


Cut along the lines.



Unfold your hearts. 
They should look like this.









Lay second fabric down, wrong side up.  Follow heat bond instructions, fuse your second piece of 3 1/2" x 15" fabric to the first piece.










Trim excess fabric.

 

If you want, you can add smaller hearts to the center of your larger hearts by using heat bond.










Using sharp fabric scissors (embroidery scissors work best), cut a small hole on either end of heart banner (the heat bond will prevent fraying).  Thread your string through the hole and tie in a knot to hang.  I use longer string, this makes adjusting my banner length easier.











Voila'!  You're done!  I have my heart banner hanging over one of my favorite prints from The Wheatfield by Katie Daisy called Someday Cottage.  The right side pic is the "Spring" side of my banner.

~xoxo J.M.Riley


No comments:

Post a Comment